Finding my way back
For the first time in over a year, I’m thrilled to be creating again. I lost my passion for painting this past year between the divorce, my diagnosis of cancer, major surgery, long recovery and almost losing our mom to an unexpected heart block.
After spending months in physical therapy and basic survival mode, I’m finally climbing out of the haze. The fog is clearing and I can see hope for a better tomorrow. Painting furniture is therapeutic, having lost that lust was like losing part of my inner soul and I’m so thankful it’s starting to come back.
I tried the Frenchic for the first time when I returned to work after surgery. Cathy had raved about it for months and it didn’t take long for me to understand why. Frenchic is absolutely dreamy and just what I needed to spark my passion for painting again.
- Frenchic bonds tighter with surfaces
- Cures to a harder finish
- Wet distresses easier
- Covers better
- Blocks better
- Glides on easier
- The raw paint itself buffs to an absolute gleam even prior to sealing
- It is ZERO VOC, not just low ~ it’s ZERO VOC’s
- It has Zero toxins
- It is Solvent Free
- It is Acrylic Free
- It is Latex Free
- Will not peel or crack
- It is Certified toy safe
- There is no odor
- Frenchic has a fabulous line of paint and wax brushes
- Frenchic’s waxes are creamier and easier to use. All three, including the White Wax and Rustic Wax (dark wax) are as easy to use as the Clear. I never thought I’d find a nicer wax until I tried these.
Frenchic Furniture Paint® is so easy to use. Even a beginner can create a beautiful finish the very first time. Frenchic’s paint colors and waxes meld together like magic! I’ve included a few of my favorite paint and wax combinations in this blog post.
Start with a Clean Surface
It’s important to use a good degreaser to remove any existing grease or wax build up prior to painting. Fiona Clarke, a retailer for Frenchic, makes this great parallel to emphasis the importance of cleaning your piece before you paint. She says “If you were going out in the evening, you wouldn’t put foundation over an uncleaned face, would you? Your face would be greasy and dirty cause the foundation to be blotchy.” The same is true for the furniture and cabinets you paint ~ take the time to degrease the existing surface thoroughly prior to painting.
Once your piece is clean, you’re free to paint
I chose to paint my table with Frenchic’s French Mist.
Ivory Tower dry-brushed over Scotch Mist
To create this look, paint your piece with Scotch Mist (a beautiful, soft, gray-green) and let dry. The paint is thick and rich. I shake the sample pots and stir the quarts prior to using, then pour out only what I’ll need. I also almost always dilute my paints with water or have a cup of water sitting next to me that I dip into. It’s a personal choice, but that’s how I like to do it.
The highlights on this piece were created by lightly dry brushing Ivory Tower over the Scotch Mist. (I think there is a dry-brush tutorial or video in our portfolio. If not, please leave a comment below and I’ll be sure to do one.) When both colors are dry, use a damp rag to gently rub back some of the white. This softens the look and feel, and reveals all the pretty details.
Once you have it looking the way you want it, let it dry. The paint needs to be completely dry before you apply the wax. I sealed the above piece with Frenchic’s Clear Wax – It’s awesome!
Posh Nelly over Lady Gray
This is such a rich combo. Layer Frenchic’s Posh Nelly over Lady Gray then lightly wet distress to reveal part of the Lady Gray. To add even more dimension, seal it with Frenchic’s Rustic Wax (beautiful black/brown) and then feather in some of their White Wax. Love, Love, Love this combination ~ we’re doing this combo now on a mammoth armoire.
Sneak Peek of our Armoire – Posh Nelly, Lady Gray, Rustic & White Wax
Frenchic’s Ivory Tower over Mother Duck
This is a simple wet distress of Ivory Tower over Mother Duck. Both colors are gorgeous in and of themselves, but together, they’re simply amazing. I’m doing this paint combo in my bathroom now. Stay tuned for this makeover.
This is Mother Duck ~ Don’t you just love it?
I’m currently painting my bathroom walls with Mother Duck and my cabinets with Ivory Tower ~ a rich, creamy white
It’s covering the other wall cover so well. This is the first coat going on. I’ll apply another thin coat to fill in but I’m impressed with how it covered such a vibrant color. I also can’t get over how well it grips and how hard it cures. I shot this video a week after I slapped on the white to see which one I wanted to go with.
Posh Nelly over Wedgewood with White Wax
Anquilla over Pea Soup with Rustic Wax
One of my favorite paint color combos!
I am really, REALLY tired right now so I hope what I typed makes sense. It’s going to be a while before I’m 100%, but I’m trying and I can’t wait to share all the projects we’re working on. I’ve been so excited, I keep starting new ones without finishing the others so they’re scattered throughout the workshop. My goal this week is to finish everything I’ve got started.
SPEAKING OF WORKSHOPS…
You can be one of the first in the country to learn how to use this fabulous paint. Join us for an upcoming class!
Friday, April 22 or Sunday, April 24 – 2016
Check the dates, time and availability of upcoming Shizzle Workshops and sign up HERE.
There’s so much more to share about Frenchic Furniture Paint®
Frenchic Furniture Paint is flying out the door. Stop in to visit Cathy and I and see what all the buzz is about!. We’re located at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and are available M-F from 10-5. To order from our Online Shizzle Shop, click here.
We’re excited have this at Shizzle Design and are looking forward to sharing this phenomenon with customers and retailers nationwide!
If you’re interested in retailing Frenchic Furniture Paint®, we’d love to hear from you!
You must have a brick and mortar or an approved space within another storefront. For more information about this fantastic opportunity, submit your contact information including: name, business name, location, email, phone and a little blurb about what your business is here.
Can’t wait to see who joins the Frenchic Family!
Save on other paints at Shizzle!
Shabby Chic by Rachel Ashwell Paint & Finishes – On Sale Here
Faux Real Mineral Paint are also on Sale – here
A hui hou ~ Shelly
Did you know…
- It’s just the two of us: My sister and I own and operate Shizzle Design which originated in my garage. We have and will continue to work hard providing the best customer service.
- We specialize in painting furniture and are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable
- We are blessed to teach people from all over the U.S. Join us for a super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshop in a casual & fun atmosphere. For a list of current classes, click here.
- Subscribe to our weekly blog posts for tips, tutorials, ideas & painted furniture inspiration. Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- Like our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page We share what we’re working on EVERY single DAY so you’ll usually find out about new classes, new products, new furniture, sales… if you follow us there. After you like our FB Page, be sure to click the down arrow behind the work “Liked” to choose which notifications you’d like to receive. If you do not do this, you will miss 99% of our posts.
- Visit our Pinterest Page for our portfolio & more inspiration here.
- Our Painted Furniture is offered at: Shizzle Design Paint Studio 2018 Chicago Dr., Jenison, MI 49428 and Not So Shabby at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, MI 49424
- Shop Paint: Shop our large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies on our Online Shizzle Shop and at our West Michigan LOCATIONS.