A while back I asked for opinions on color combinations for this piece and I’m thrilled with all the votes that came rolling in.
We offered different color combos to choose from ~ you voted and we painted it.
The transformation began with two thin coats of Frenchic Furniture Paint’s beautiful Lady Grey, a rich, deep gray. The spray gun saved a lot of time on this mammoth piece but it still took hours. I can’t imagine hand painted the inside, outside and top of this all by hand.
After the Lady Gray, Cath sprayed Frenchic’s Posh Nelly, a beautiful light taupe
Oh my gosh! I just noticed how much the base of this armoire dwarfs the little cabinet it’s sitting on!
Now the fun part!! Wet Distressing!!
Shizzle Tip ~ With Frenchic Furniture Paint, you can wet distress your piece simply using a damp rag! I love distressing furniture this way. No Mess! No Dust! No damaging the wood!
We worked on this piece as time allowed, finessing it as we went along. Yes, we needed ladders and step stools to reach the top! Height missed our side of the family, and I was wishing my friend Karen was here to help on several occasions ~ lol.
I love how easy it is to wet distress Frenchic!
Ready to see the finished piece? Read on…
It’s one of those things where you distress a little bit, step back, look it over, do a little more ~ repeat…
Cathy found the perfect wire baskets for it then mounted a clothing rod above. Did you notice the contrast in colors? Love how the Lady Grey pops against the combo on the outside!
Once we had achieved the look we wanted through distressing, we simply waxed it using the best dark wax ever –Frenchic’s Rustic Wax! This dark wax pulls more a black than brown which is so rich and I can honestly say this stuff is idiot proof. It won’t streak, leave blotches, marks… You don’t have to cut it with mineral spirits or mix it with clear, it simply glides on as easily as if you were applying the Clear Wax. I just can’t say enough about this stuff!
I shot a video of myself dark waxing this piece. It’s dorky, mind you, as I’m still recovering from surgery, but you’ll be able to tell how easy this stuff is to work with. To watch the video, visit out ShizzleLLC Facebook Page and scroll down until you see the video. It should show up in your left-hand column, at least that’s where it is on mine.
We also feathered in some White Wax giving our piece even more depth and dimension. I love how the different layers of paint and wax pops all the fabulous details of this cabinet.
It took a couple good friends and a large trailer to move it from our workshop to our space at Not So Shabby.
The bottom half offers a ton of storage too.
We stored shipping blankets on one half and large, Costco-sized packages of paper towel and toilet paper on the other side.
See the two little drawers on either side? Those are super cool too.
I already miss having this piece in our workshop!
She’s now in our space at Not So Shabby awaiting her new venture. Will she be filled with linens in a beautiful spa bathroom, provide amble storage for a guest room or be the focal point on a large living room wall? The other option of course is to remove the clothing rod and shelf altogether and use it for an entertainment center.
How would you use it?
This project’s Recipe Card
Frenchic Furniture Paint’s – Lady Grey
Frenchic Furniture Paint’s – Posh Nelly
Frenchic Furniture Paint’s – Rustic Wax
Frenchic Furniture Paint’s – White Wax
For availability on these pieces email us here.
The best way to stay current on what we’re doing now is to LIKE our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page. As a single mom, I just can’t find time to write weekly blog posts anymore.
There’s much more too. Follow us on our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page for daily updates, especially if you’re looking for furniture as a lot of it is flying out the door before we can photograph it and get it to Not So Shabby. It’s super important though, after liking our ShizzleLLC Facebook page, to click the down arrow and choose your notifications so you’ll actually see our new posts ~ otherwise, Facebook doesn’t send them to you. When I want to follow someone’s Facebook Page, I choose “See First” and then choose “
A hui hou ~ Shelly
Did you know…
- It’s just the two of us: My sister and I own and operate Shizzle Design which originated in my garage. We have and will continue to work hard providing the best customer service.
- We specialize in painting furniture and are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable
- We are blessed to teach people from all over the U.S. Join us for a super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshop in a casual & fun atmosphere. For a list of current classes, click here.
- Subscribe to our weekly blog posts for tips, tutorials, ideas & painted furniture inspiration. Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- Like our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page We share what we’re working on EVERY single DAY so you’ll usually find out about new classes, new products, new furniture, sales… if you follow us there. After you like our FB Page, be sure to click the down arrow behind the work “Liked” to choose which notifications you’d like to receive. If you do not do this, you will miss 99% of our posts.
- Visit our Pinterest Page for our portfolio & more inspiration here.
- Our Painted Furniture is offered at: Shizzle Design Paint Studio 2018 Chicago Dr., Jenison, MI 49428 and Not So Shabby at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, MI 49424
- Shop Paint: Shop our large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies on our Online Shizzle Shop and at our West Michigan LOCATIONS.