04 Oct My Very First Chalk Painted Dresser
When I decided to start my furniture refurbishing business this summer, this is the first piece of real furniture I transformed. I purchased this dresser at a garage sale in my home town several years ago. I loved the lines of this piece, but at the time, I was only doing garden chairs and mosaics. It was too long for the tiny rooms in our house so… It ended up in my workshop and served as a stylish alternative for a tool cabinet.
(I learned this pose by watching my very dear friend, Colleen, compete in a body building competition on the Big Island. We like to call this pose Ikaika, which means strong, or in my case – what was I thinking?)
Not only was this the first time I usingASCP, it also was the first time stripping and re-staining. Stripping the paint off the solid mahogany top was slick as beans but the finishing was serious chore. I tried to fix up several tiny dings inan attempt toreveal perfect mahogany, but my attempt to blend in the red, didn’t work so well.
I filled in a couple spots with something that claimed to be stainable – they lied! No matter what I tried, it just looked white. I stripped it down, tried a little artistic painting, dug out some of the filler and stained it again. Okay, I actually did this step eight times. Really! Let’s just call it a learning curve. When I finally got it the way I wanted, I masked it off and busted into my Annie Sloan shipment.
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Instead of hoarding our knowledge, we empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.
Click here to see Shizzle Design Painted Furniture Makeovers
Click here to see our Shizzle Tips, How To Tutorials & Video’s
Click here to see Funky Finishes
Linking up to these GREAT Parties!
Domestically Speaking – The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage – Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed – Furniture Feature Friday
Redoux – Friday Link Up Party
Homespun Happenings – Rustic Restorations Weekend
Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special
Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sundays
Knick of Time Interiors – Knick of Time Tuesday
a hui hou ~ Shelly