23 Oct Antique Vanity and Gentleman’s Chest in ASCP
I’ve been told many times throughout my lifetime that I’m “visual”. Whether its the topography blueprint of a golf course or a dated piece of furniture, I can see the finished design well in the initial stages of a project.
There are moments though when I get hung up on color. This happened recently with a bedroom set I picked up to refinish. I knew I wanted to strip and refinish the tops in a rich espresso stain, but I visualized the gentleman’s dresser in a dark Graphite, while I saw the vanity in Old White. When I mentioned this idea to someone, I was told “you can’t do that!” I can’t?
The next step was removing all the contact paper and cleaning all the drawers. Oh my gosh this stuff has staying power!
When I was exhausted from battling the contact paper, I started messing around with paint colors. Paris Grey? Versailles? Country Grey?
Nope! Just wasn’t working for me. Ah, what the heck, it’s just Chalk Paint – ha!
I have a confession to make. I don’t like pastels – gasp! I decided on Paris Grey but planned to darken the color using my Annie Sloan Dark Wax. I was having a REALLY hard time it sticking and glopping and ended up with a disaster, so I painted over it and started again.
Quite honestly, I’ve battled her dark wax from the day I got it four months ago. I kept trying it OVER and OVER and OVER again with the same frustration, wondering what the heck I wasn’t getting. Then, last week my sister came over with her AS dark wax and I couldn’t believe the difference! I was like “what?” I was like “huh?”
Her wax is an entirely different consistency than the wax I received. I’m guessing it was either a bad batch it melted in the delivery truck or something, but it was just wrong! My wax was thick and gummy and almost crystallized from the get go. I also bought one thing of clear wax that was fine, but the inside of the lid was covered with what appears to be rust. Bottom line, check it out! They’re not supposed to be that way.
I had worked myself into a tizzy with the dark wax, so I opted to glaze the paint with a stain then finished it with clear wax. Now that’s what I’m talking about!
And, after a long battle… this is what I ended up with:)
Next, comes the vanity… I stuck to my original thought of a different, yet coordinating combination.
And just in case you want to see the color by sunset…
Stay tuned for more furniture transformations! If you don’t want to miss anything, subscribe, follow, ‘like”… Shizzle Design with whatever suits your fancy!
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Instead of hoarding our knowledge, we empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.
Click here to see Shizzle Design Painted Furniture Makeovers
Click here to see our Shizzle Tips, How To Tutorials & Video’s
Click here to see Funky Finishes
Linking up to these GREAT Parties!
Domestically Speaking – The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage – Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed – Furniture Feature Friday
Redoux – Friday Link Up Party
Homespun Happenings – Rustic Restorations Weekend
Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special
Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sundays
Knick of Time Interiors – Knick of Time Tuesday
a hui hou ~ Shelly