13 Jul Save Money ~ Update outdated furniture hardware with paint!
This French Provincial lingerie chest was in excellent condition when I found it but it had that funky speckled ivory colored faux finish on it. You know the one I’m talking about, the type trimmed in gold? Yep, that’s the one! I love the style but the white drawer pulls were not cutting it. at all.
I painted the piece then used 0000 steel wool to burnish the finish then got started on the hardware.
I love how the steel wool changes the look and feel of the raw paint. The paint seems to take on an entirely different dimension and has so much more character than just a solid color.
I was in love with everything except the glossy white hardware. What were they thinking? It didn’t even look good on the original. I love the style but the white had to go. It was way too much “in my face”.
I had to decide on a color to paint them so I pulled out a box of vintage hardware and found a piece for inspiration. I looked closely to see the different color variations then grabbed similar colors from our stash of chalk & clay paints and went to town.
Because these were a super glossy white lacquer, I gave them a VERY quick spritz of metallic spray paint. Typically this step will be eliminated because hardware is usually brass or some other type of metal.
It took less than 20 minutes to paint all seven drawer pulls and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results!
A hui hou “Until we meet again” ~ Shelly Andrade of Shizzle
For more ideas, tips, video tutorials, pictures and inspiration on what we have created using chalk and clay paints, visit the Shizzle Design Portfolio.
The best way to stay current on what we’re doing now is to LIKE our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page. As a single mom, I just can’t find time to write weekly blog posts anymore.
There’s much more too. Follow us on our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page for daily updates, especially if you’re looking for furniture as a lot of it is flying out the door before we can photograph it and get it to Not So Shabby. It’s super important though, after liking our ShizzleLLC Facebook page, to click the down arrow and choose your notifications so you’ll actually see our new posts ~ otherwise, Facebook doesn’t send them to you. When I want to follow someone’s Facebook Page, I choose “See First” and then choose “
Did you know…
- It’s just the two of us: My sister and I own and operate Shizzle Design which originated in my garage. We have and will continue to work hard providing the best customer service.
- We specialize in painting furniture and are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable
- We are blessed to teach people from all over the U.S. Join us for a super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshop in a casual & fun atmosphere. For a list of current classes, click here.
- Subscribe to our weekly blog posts for tips, tutorials, ideas & painted furniture inspiration. Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- Like our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page We share what we’re working on EVERY single DAY so you’ll usually find out about new classes, new products, new furniture, sales… if you follow us there. After you like our FB Page, be sure to click the down arrow behind the work “Liked” to choose which notifications you’d like to receive. If you do not do this, you will miss 99% of our posts.
- Visit our Pinterest Page for our portfolio & more inspiration here.
- Our Painted Furniture is offered at: Shizzle Design Paint Studio 2018 Chicago Dr., Jenison, MI 49428 and Not So Shabby at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, MI 49424
- Shop Paint: Shop our large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies on our Online Shizzle Shop and at our West Michigan LOCATIONS.