19 Dec Funky Chunky Distressed Red Highboy Dresser
We started this journey several years ago because we love to paint. We were naive to other facets involved in running a business. We’ve learned a lot since then and continue to learn more each and every day.
When we think we’re getting on top of things, something else pops up and rocks our world like the whole “What to Choose ~ American Paint Company or CeCe Caldwell’s Paints?” thing. Find out what we decided here.
It never crossed my mind when this all began how many new people would come into our lives, but the friendships we’ve made are worth more than anything money could ever buy.
I never would have met one of my dearest friends had it not been for this journey. Her name is Anastasia and she is the most thoughtful, smart, kind, generous, helpful and fun person I know. She’s a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, sister and friend and has an amazing eye for design. You should see what she just did with her living room!! Anastasia is an incredible soul and I’m so grateful to have her for a friend.
I love painting with rich, saturated colors so I was absolutely in my glory when I found out Anastasia’s daughter wanted red for her new dresser.
I tend to hold back when I paint furniture to sell in the store, but my favorite pieces are those done in bright whimsical colors. After renting white places with white walls for nine years when I lived in Hawaii, I couldn’t wait to own my own home and bring it alive with color, especially in the kid’s rooms.
This piece already had great bones but was in need some TLC. I started by applying two coats of Zinnser’s Clear Shellac inside and out to freshen it up a bit. This is how it looked when I started.
I base coated it with American Paint Company’s Beach Glass, Home Turf and Orange Grove each strategically placed an then layered, blended and dry-brushed to create an interesting contrast to the top color.
I then distressed the heck out of it to unveil the years of history within. You see, this wasn’t just any old dresser, this was a beautiful heirloom passed down from mother to son and then from son to daughter. Preserving some of those imperfections was essential to preserving her character.
Anastasia, it was a true honor to do this for your daughter. Here’s hoping the tradition continues and the heirloom will continue to be passed down for generations to come! Enjoy!!
Did you know that…
- We’ve opened up a Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, Michigan 49428? This is where Cathy and I paint our furniture but we want our customers to know that we’re here for you. We encourage everyone to stop in any time to buy paint or to get your questions answered.
- We’ve taught people from all over the United States and Canada how to paint furniture Shizzle Style using chalk and clay paints? Join us for a fun and relaxing workshop. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- You can Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints?
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ so what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page? We share all sorts of additional tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page?).
- We have numerous Pinterest Boards? Stop in and check out our extensive portfolio ~ Pin us on Pinterest
- We sell our painted furniture at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan 49424?
- Shizzle Design is an American Paint Company’s Chalk/Clay/Mineral Paints in West Michigan locations and sell both domestically and international online? Click LOCATIONS or Online Shizzle Shop.
Click here to see Shizzle Design Painted Furniture Makeovers
Click here to see our Shizzle Tips, How To Tutorials & Video’s
Click here to see Funky Finishes
Linking up to these GREAT Parties!
Domestically Speaking – The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage – Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed – Furniture Feature Friday
Redoux – Friday Link Up Party
Homespun Happenings – Rustic Restorations Weekend
Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special
Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sundays
Knick of Time Interiors – Knick of Time Tuesday
a hui hou ~ Shelly