In the midst of this long cold winter, Cathy and I were invited to be one of the featured speakers at West Michigan’s Women’s Expo.
We immediately started preparing for it. I was panicked about how we were going to pull something of this magnitude together in such a short amount of time? Cathy had left for Florida with mom and I was already swamped with the start of our Inventory Clearance Sale when we decided to stop carrying CeCe Caldwell’s Paints.
I knew we wouldn’t be able to do this expo on our own so got on my knees and prayed and prayed and prayed. I then gathered the best friends a person could ever ask for and together, we pulled it all together.
I didn’t finish everything I wanted to do prior to the event due to a major crashing of my laptop
the night before I had to get all our show particulars to Channel 13 for our segment on Take Five so I ended pulling an all nighter but I got it in… three minutes before the deadline! Considering all the challenges and technical difficulties we had leading up to the event, I think we did alright.
By the time of the event, we needed a 26′ long U-haul to pack everything!
It was cold, VERY COLD, the day we moved everything into DeVos Place in downtown Grand Rapids. Many, many thanks to Beth and Liz, Ann, Uncle Jack, Chantelle & Ohana who froze their okoles off that day.
Many, many thanks to my cheese-head friend Ann and fellow American Paint Company Retailer, who brought in a bunch of fluff to stage our space. I’m telling you, this gal is one talented chicka. She’s also a hoot! I laughed for four days straight! Love this girl!! But I have to admit, I am so NOT talented with staging and never could have done it without you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
We started moving things around until it made sense and before we knew it, everything was in it’s place!
Ahhh ~ that reminds me!!! We still have to pick winners for the paint workshop giveaways!!
We haven’t even opened the box! I’ll get right on that this morning and post the winners here!
Here are some of the things we had For Sale
Some of the furniture sold during the show, some was taken to Not So Shabby in Holland and some of it is back in our Studio. Contact us if there’s something you see on here that you’re interested in.
This flower dresser was revamped. The entire top was refinished and the flower was enhanced with more paint and an outline.
We did a lot of teaching during the show both on stage and within our own booth. I’m so glad Laurie caught the bug! Thanks for all your help Laurie! She helped out so much with all the details like designing our “Transform Your Find with Shizzle Design” T-shirts! Thanks Laurie!!
It was awesome to finally meet so many of our customers in person!! Thanks for much for coming out, it means the world to us!
We didn’t realize how much advertising was going on all over the place. Thanks so much for bringing articles from newspapers and magazines so we could read them! I can’t wait to send to our mom.
It was great to have so much interest in our Shizzle Tips & Techniques during the show!
What’s your favorite American Paint Company Color???
The hottest selling colors during the show were: Peacock, Limoges, Crushed Tea, Sackcloth, Waistcoat, Cannonball, Home Plate, Beach Glass, Fireworks Red, Rushmore and Freedom Road. Shoppers also stocked up on lots of our fabulous Clear, Light and Dark Waxes as well as Topcoat while they were at the show and our metallic mica powders and American Grit were hot hot hot!
Thanks also for joining us for our stage presentations! It was so cool to see such a large turnout and meet people from all over the place.
Mya, you were awesome painting on stage! You really showed them how easy it is to apply; everyone loved how you painted!! Thanks for helping out with our demonstrations!!
We’re painting this bed for my Aunt Katie and Uncle Jim, all profits from the sale of this bed will go back to them for all the help and support they’ve always given to us throughout our lives. Thanks guys!! You’re the best!!
Anastasia, you’re so awesome!! I absolutely adore you!! Thanks for all your help and for all the fun you added to the weekend!! You’re the best!! Hey, I didn’t get a picture of your handsome son, but please express our gratitude towards him as well!
Ok, so we started getting a little goofy after three days straight at the expo. Ann started it, the silly virus was contagious from that point on!
Thanks for all your help Lori!! You rock!! and always brighten up a room with your upbeat personality. We love you Lori!!
Thanks Liz! Vanna doesn’t have anything on you!!
We can’t even begin to express the amount of gratitude we have for each and every one of you for all the help and support you’ve given: Lori, Liz, Laurie, Anastasia, Kami, Lisa, Kathe, Beth, Ann, Uncle Jack, Kalei, Kekai, Ka’iulani, Denise, Chantelle and everybody else who helped out before, during and after the show.
Did you know that…
- We’ve opened up our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, Michigan 49428? This is where Cathy and I paint our furniture but we want our customers to know that we’re here for you. We encourage everyone to stop in any time to buy paint or to get your questions answered.
- We’ve taught people from all over the United States and Canada how to paint furniture Shizzle Style using chalk and clay paints? Join us for one of our super fun workshops. Learn hands-on in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- You can Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts of additional tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- We have numerous Pinterest Boards Stop in and check out our extensive portfolio ~ Pin us on Pinterest
- We sell our painted furniture at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- We sell American Paint Company Paints & Supplies our of our Shizzle Design Paint Studio (headquarters) 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 as sell as several other locations in the greater Grand Rapid’s area. Click LOCATIONS to find out where we’re located. We also ship the paint domestically and internationally through our Online Shizzle Shop.
Click here to see Shizzle Design Painted Furniture Makeovers
Click here to see our Shizzle Tips, How To Tutorials & Video’s
Click here to see Funky Finishes
Linking up to these GREAT Parties!
Domestically Speaking – The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage – Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed – Furniture Feature Friday
Redoux – Friday Link Up Party
Homespun Happenings – Rustic Restorations Weekend
Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special
Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sundays
Knick of Time Interiors – Knick of Time Tuesday
a hui hou ~ Shelly