07 Aug More Great Ideas from Shizzle Design’s Furniture Workshops featuring American Paint Company’s Chalk & Clay Paints
Sharing some great furniture makeovers from our last workshop…
Nana’s Cupboard & Spacious Skies
Metal Bench painted in Beach Glass over Coral Reef (prior to topcoating)
Coat Tree painted in Wild Horses (brown) and Firework’s Red (prior to waxing)
Nightstand painted in Limoges over Wild Horses
Drum Table being painted in Freedom Road
Lightly sanding surface to smooth out tiny paint bubbles
Shizzle Troubleshooting Tip: My best guess as to why this particular piece developed little bubbles is because multiple layers of paint were applied over an initial coat that hadn’t completely dried on this super hot, humid day. The humidity was off the charts. In those conditions, it takes paint longer to dry. It’s best to make sure each layer is completely dry prior to applying additional coats because the moisture can get trapped between the paint and the existing surface, especially if the surface is a non-porous surface such as this piece which was a faux wood type veneer. To remedy the tiny bubbles, we use a blow dryer on a low setting to speed up the drying process. As the paint dried, the bubbles pretty much went away. There were still some tiny bumps which bugged me so we simply sanded them out by gently using fine grit sand paper.
Chair painted in Beach Glass over Nana’s Cupboard
Freedom Road and Navajo White Table Base
Firework’s Red over Wild Horses
Pewter Metallic Mica Powder and Dark Wax over Wild Horses on Coat Tree Hooks
This was the first shot I was able to take of the “almost before’s”
Ready to get your Shizzle on?
Ready to get in on the fun?
Our very last Shizzle workshop of the summer is
Reserve your space now online HERE
If you can’t register online, feel free to stop by our Jenison studio or call us at 616.669.1414.
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Cathy and I empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- Did you know we are not paid employees of American Paint Company? It typically takes me 10 hours to publish one of my blog posts. Everything from shooting the photographs, writing the content, editing, cropping… is given freely. The only way we make money is if someone purchases paint, workshops or painted furniture from us. If you enjoy the information you get in our website, please share and let us know.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.
For more Chalk & Clay Painted Furniture ideas, tips, tutorials & inspiration, click:
Linking up to these GREAT Parties!
Domestically Speaking – The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage – Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed – Furniture Feature Friday
Redoux – Friday Link Up Party
Homespun Happenings – Rustic Restorations Weekend
Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special
Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sundays
Knick of Time Interiors – Knick of Time Tuesday