14 Aug Ornate Round Antique Side Table Painted in Sackcloth & Custom Mixed Cameo Glaze by American Paint Company
Hi guys! We’re working on switching things around at the shop this week to better utilize our space so I’m sharing a cute little table I refinished recently.
When I got it, it looked like it had been stained a dark brown but the color had faded quite a bit. It had such great bones though and I knew it would be fabulous with a little TLC. To get things started, I painted the base in American Paint Company’s Sackcloth and the top with Crushed Tea.
I gave the base a quick coat of American Paint Company’s Topcoat to create a barrier for the tinted glaze I made up. This goes on quick and creates a barrier so you can easily manipulate your glaze. You can use the black or brown glaze as is or you can create your own custom color by mixing in a little bit of any of our paint colors into the clear glaze. To create the pale pink glaze, I mixed a little bit of APC’s Clear Glaze with a little bit of Cameo from APC’s Ellis Collection.
Shizzle Tip: The thicker the paint, the more I water it down. It helps it to level out better so you don’t end up with brush strokes and stretches your paint so you end up with more bang for your buck. It also helps the paint seep into all the deep crevices that may otherwise be hard to get paint into. ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
It only took a little bit of paint mixed with the clear glaze to create the color I was looking for. I did a simple wipe-on / wipe-off using a rag to highlight all the beautiful details.
See how the glaze settles into all the crevices?
I sealed the base with American Paint Company’s Clear Wax then mixed it up a bit using both Clear and Dark Waxes to create subtle variations on the top.
Crushed Tea sealed with Clear & Dark Waxes
… and there you have it 🙂
We just dropper her off to Not So Shabby at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan 49424 where she’s anxiously awaiting her owner.
Hope you all are having a fabulous week!!
A hui hou ~ Shelly
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Cathy and I empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- Did you know we are not paid employees of American Paint Company? It typically takes me 10 hours to publish one of my blog posts. Everything from shooting the photographs, writing the content, editing, cropping… is given freely. The only way we make money is if someone purchases paint, workshops or painted furniture from us. If you enjoy the information you get in our website, please share and let us know.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.
For more Chalk & Clay Painted Furniture ideas, tips, tutorials & inspiration, click: