22 Apr Whimisical Patchwork Style Paint Technique with American Paint Company Paints
Today I’m revisiting one of our most popular posts written a couple years ago. I love painting this whimsical patchwork style and on this cold, dreary, SNOWY April day, I needed a little whimsy to brighten my spirits. Hoping for warmer days ahead this summer. Enjoy!!
Do you ever have one of THOSE days? THOSE weeks? THOSE months? I do! Sometimes I just need to walk away from everything and escape the chaos for a little while. This is one of our favorite places to relax.
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park
Lake Michigan’s Beautiful Shoreline, Empire, Michigan
I love Michigan’s summers! Since it’s light until almost 10:00 p.m. this time of year, late afternoons and evenings the perfect time for painting. The sun isn’t intense, the winds are usually calm and everything seems more tranquil.
I took the opportunity to slap together a quick makeover using various leftover sample pots of American Paint Company’s chalk, clay and mineral paint. I dumped blobs of each color onto a plate and went to town. No deep thought, no planning ~ Ready, Set, GO!
The only thing I knew I wanted was a chunky, patchwork quilt type of colorful finish. I used American Paint Company’s Beach Glass, Orange Grove, Amber Waves of Grain, Home Turf, Dessert Cactus (a couple of these have since been retired and are on sale now here). Here’s what I ended up with.
To begin, I simply slapped on the paint and kept layering… and layering… and layering!
This dresser is a good representation of what’s going through my brain at any given moment.
To me, it’s not just about the color, it’s how a piece feels
I wish you could reach through your monitor and feel how silky smooth the finish is on this piece. It’s sealed with American Paint Company’s Light Antiquing Wax (retired, we have one can left on 4.22.15) which adds a sunset-like warmth to the vast array of colors I used.
I love APC’s Antiquing Waxes!
APC’s waxes are pre-mixed so…
- You don’t have to mix it up yourself and worry whether you have it mixed well enough to cure properly.
- You don’t have to fart around cutting the dark wax with clear wax just to make it glide on evenly. It naturally spreads out evenly without creating streaks you can’t blend into the finish.
- You also won’t have to dilute it with Mineral Spirits like some chemically laden waxes require to make them work properly ~ just brush it on like you would Clear Wax and buff with an old t-shirt and you’ll end up with such a buttery smooth finish that you won’t be able to stop touching it.
Ok, maybe that’s just me
I touch a lot of painted furniture that doesn’t FEEL good
To create this look, take a variety of colors and start slapping it on in random patterns. Dry brush in every which way then use a little water to spread it around and repeat over and over again until you like what you see. I used a variety of colors from American Paint Company’s chalk/clay/mineral paints including: Fireworks Red, Home Turf, Surfboard, Orange Grove, Wild Horses, Home Plate, Beach Glass, Coral Reef and whatever else was within my reach that day.
I do the same thing with carpet, couches, sweatshirts and linens. Living room carpet needs to be soft enough to lay on, the fabric on a couch needs to be so comfy that you can crash face first into it… Yes, I’ve been known to lay on couches at LaZboy and I’m about as experienced as they come at picking out the best rocking chair. Ok ~ so I like to rock. One of these days I’ll share some of my earliest photos of this habit that I seem to have carried on to adulthood. Did I mention, I still rock my 10 year old? SHHHH ~ don’t tell her I told you!!
These colors lift my spirits!
What do you think?
Leave me a comment below ~ I’d love to hear about your favorite color combinations!
May 29 – 31, 2015 ~ 3 Day Furniture Painting Weekend Retreat – Waukesha, WI
Visit our Online Shizzle Shop to sign up or read all the fabulous details here.
A hui hou ~ Shelly
Did you know…
- It’s just the two of us: My sister and I own and operate Shizzle Design which originated in my garage. We have and will continue to work hard providing the best customer service.
- We specialize in painting furniture and are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable
- We are blessed to teach people from all over the U.S. Join us for a super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshop in a casual & fun atmosphere. For a list of current classes, click here.
- Subscribe to our weekly blog posts for tips, tutorials, ideas & painted furniture inspiration. Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- Like our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page We share what we’re working on EVERY single DAY so you’ll usually find out about new classes, new products, new furniture, sales… if you follow us there. The more you comment, the higher your chance is of getting our daily posts.
- Visit our Pinterest Page for our portfolio & more inspiration here.
- Our Painted Furniture is offered at: Shizzle Design Paint Studio 2018 Chicago Dr., Jenison, MI 49428 AND Not So Shabby at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan.
- Shop Paint: Shop our large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies on our Online Shizzle Shop and at all three of our West Michigan LOCATIONS.