09 Sep The biopsy is in, Diagnosis – Cancer
Dr. Post called with my biopsy results and told me I have a very rare form of bone cancer called chondrosarcoma.
I am very blessed because it is Grade One meaning, it’s treatable through surgery and the percentage of recurrence is very low. Thank you Jesus!
Chemo and radiation won’t help my type of cancer so it needs to be completely removed through surgery ~ no pressure! I go in Tuesday, September 15 to have the tumor removed from my arm. Once the tumor is removed and the area is treated and frozen for a couple added layers of protection, the empty space in the bone will be replaced with bone cement. There will be metal rods going through the cement, similar to how they lay re-bar in concrete sidewalks and driveways. He’s also going to add a long metal plate from my shoulder to my elbow will offer another layer of re-enforcement to make sure the repair holds up over the years to come.
Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, September 15th. I’m staying at the glorious Spectrum Health Medical Center enjoying the incredible architecture of Grand Rapid’s Medical Mile. I’ll be in the resort for two glorious days while they monitor my drains and make sure there is no infection or complications before sending me home. Ok, ok, it’s a hospital, not a resort and I’ll probably be too drugged up to even look out the window ~ but hey, I have to think positive right?
Don’t let me fool you, the recovery is going to be tough. Yes, it’s in my dominant arm, the one I paint with ~ for all of you out there who were wondering. Thankfully, I’m ambidextrous with just about everything except writing but there are going to be many things I won’t be able to do for myself the first few weeks which will be a very humbling experience to say the least.
I feel incredibly blessed already for all the friends and family members who have offered to help out during this difficult time. I know with their help and God’s amazing grace, I’ll make it through.
My sister Cathy is holding down the fort at our Jenison Shizzle Shop so business will go on as usual with the exception of Tuesday, September 15. She’ll be at the hospital with my mom and other friends while I’m in surgery.
Jenison Shizzle Shop will be Closed September 15th, 2015
Cathy will be teaching the September Workshops on September 16 and 19th as I’m in recovery. Cathy is an extremely talented artist and instructor and you’ll learn a ton from her workshops!
Join Cathy for a DIY Furniture Painting Workshop
Wednesday, September 16 or Saturday, September 19
To register, click here.
We also have many new pieces of painted furniture ready for purchase ~ as of today, here’s what’s available for purchase. Stop in and see Cathy (I told her to have everything painted and all the paint sold by the time I get back to work ~ lol).
Mom and friends will help out with the girls making sure they get to and from school, practices… Please put in an extra prayer for them as this is very scary for them to deal with.
Many mahalos for all your thoughts and prayers as I go through this year of challenges. I won’t be able to type for quite some time. To keep up to date on my condition, please visit our Facebook Page by clicking: ShizzleLLC
A hui hou ~ Shelly
Did you know…
- It’s just the two of us: My sister and I own and operate Shizzle Design which originated in my garage. We have and will continue to work hard providing the best customer service.
- We specialize in painting furniture and are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable
- We are blessed to teach people from all over the U.S. Join us for a super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshop in a casual & fun atmosphere. For a list of current classes, click here.
- Subscribe to our weekly blog posts for tips, tutorials, ideas & painted furniture inspiration. Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- Like our ShizzleLLC Facebook Page We share what we’re working on EVERY single DAY so you’ll usually find out about new classes, new products, new furniture, sales… if you follow us there. The more you comment, the higher your chance is of getting our daily posts.
- Visit our Pinterest Page for our portfolio & more inspiration here.
- Our Painted Furniture is offered at: Shizzle Design Paint Studio 2018 Chicago Dr., Jenison, MI 49428 AND Not So Shabby at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan.
- Shop Paint: Shop our large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies on our Online Shizzle Shop and at all three of our West Michigan LOCATIONS.