Hi guys! I’m slowly getting back into the groove after relaxing at mom’s condo in Fort Myers but I have to tell you, it’s taking a while.
The 30 degree drop in temperature from Florida to Michigan was a rude awakening. I knew what we were returning home too so I tried to over sleep or misplace our boarding passes but my daughter was adamant about getting to her track meet that afternoon so there so onto the flight we went.
We got home just in time for her to check into an hour’s worth of school so she could take part in the meet.
That night was
THE World’s LONGEST
Track meet… eva!
Did I mention it was cold?
Our meteorologist joked today that we’ll most likely have a later than usual date for the last hard freeze. Typically it falls around the first weekend in May. I can’t believe Lake Michigan is still 30% covered in ice! It’s usually down to 1% by now, that’s 30 times more than normal! I shot this photo as we flew over the shoreline.
I’m sure a lot of you are anxious for Spring to arrive; hopefully it’s already arrived in your neck of the woods. I see pictures of other people’s flowers and I’m so jealous!!! If we can’t start planing for a few more weeks, at least we can enjoy brighten up the place with some paint.
Cathy did a super cool makeover on this antique vanity. When we got it, it looked like this.
It was one of those pieces that you look at and think “What the heck and I supposed to do with THAT?” We both had sentimental feelings about it since we had one exactly like it in our room growing up but seriously, the style??? How could we bring it into our era?? I shoved it back in the corner like a naughty little kid in a time-out but it hadn’t done anything wrong ~ lol. The veneer was also missing and coming off in various locations on the front so we had to address that.
Since it didn’t have any detail to play up, I suggested adding fabric. I’ve seen that done on other pieces of furniture, come to think of it ~ I’ve done it myself too on a buffet a few years back.
Soooo, off to the fabric store we went. I spocked the neatest print right off the bat but it wasn’t my project so I had to let Cath choose. I couldn’t believe it when she ended up with the one I liked. We almost always have different ideas for things so I was pretty geeked to see what she did with this.
She base coated the vanity in American Paint Company’s all natural chalk & clay paint using Bordello, a vibrant purple/fuscia that I absolutely love.
She applied all her paint in a messy, any-which-way style to build a lot of texture and interest, then layered over that with a wash of a fabulous new color from the Limited Edition Ellis Collection called Waistcoat. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this color!
The stool was base coated with Beach Glass, one of my favorites (I may have kind of, sort of… planted the seeds by placing my favorite colors on top of her material 🙂 I was absolutely loving where this was headed but I what would she put over that???
American Paint Company’s Beach Glass
She went in the back and mixed up a dreamy yellow-orange. What a cool color! LOVE this!!!
After all the vibrant colors were applied, Cath sealed distressed everything and applied American Paint Company’s Clear Wax to everywhere except the drawer fronts. This is where the cool fabric comes into play. It was adhered with Modge Podge specifically designed for fabric then sealed with American Paint Company’s Topcoat.
She finished it just in time for the Women’s Expo that where we were featured presenters at DeVos Place & Performance Center.
Cathy finished it all off with a pretty trim and is practically giving it away with the low price. It’s sitting pretty waiting for its next owner at our Shizzle Design booth within Not So Shabby in Holland. For location, click HERE.
Well…. What’cha think???
May 3 Get Messy with me while trying out our Chalk and Clay Paint, Wax, Topcoat, Metallic Mica Powders, Glazes… during the Outdoor French Flea Market at Caledonia Vintage Marketplace, Caledonia, Michigan
May 16 and May 17 Transform Your Find with Shizzle Design Furniture Painting Workshop at our Shizzle Design Paint Studio, Jenison, Michigan
Our Transform Your Find with Shizzle Design Workshops on May 16 and 17th are quickly filling up. If you’d like to join us for one of those classes, grab an old piece of furniture and spend a fun day with us!! For more information on how to register, click HERE.
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Instead of hoarding our knowledge, we empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.