I’ve been busy with custom paint jobs lately; one of them being an adorable dresser a grandmother had passed down to her granddaughter. After discussing several options, we decided to refinish the top and paint the rest black, lightly distressing the edges.
Because I planned to do some distressing, I used a clear sealer in lieu of a primer. That served as a bonding agent and filled the deep grain of the oak providing a smooth surface for the paint.
The wooden side rails were really worn and didn’t offer adequate support for the drawers.
To remedy this, I cut leftover pieces of oak corner round the depth of the existing runners and glued them into place making sure the top edge was flush all the way across. I didn’t get pictures of these but basically I just bumped in the side rails so the drawers had a little more edge to slide on.
To get the distressed rub through look of Pottery Barn furniture, I painted it black then used one of the cool new methods I learned reading Guide to Furniture Finishes.
This is my go to book for choosing the right products for different styles of painting. This ebook costs less than a gallon of paint, can be downloaded immediately and includes great videos which show you how to do different techniques.
and here’s the little black dresser all decked out in her new outfit!
There’s much more in the works. I have several knock-out pieces that will be unveiled soon!
*Let me know if there is something you’re looking for that you haven’t seen. We have a lot of projects in the works as well as some fabulous pieces patiently waiting their turn. Contact us if you have a piece of furniture you would like painted!
- Pinterest – click here to follow me on Pinterest
- Email – Click on the little blue envelop in this link to get updates by email
- Facebook – “Like” our Shizzle Facebook page to follow us on Facebook
- Linky Followers – Follow by a reader in Linky followers here
- Bookmark – a little bit o’ Shizzle
- Furniture for Sale – See here
- If you have furniture you’d like me to paint – contact by email or comment below
- West Michigan Shop Local – Most of my furniture is located in my Shizzle Design booth at Not So Shabby Antiques & Fine Furniture; 114 E. Main, Zeeland, MI click here for directions