28 Feb Rich Old World Graphite Patina on ASCP Painted Chest of Drawers
My husband ended up in emergency surgery over the weekend so I’m letting my pictures speak for themselves today – quite frankly, I’m beat!
This Three Drawer Chest Would Make a Fabulous Entryway Piece!
I layered numerous colors of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in order to achieve this rich old world Patina then layered with light and dark wax for a smooth buttery finish. The truth is, I originally painted it in Duck Egg Blue which I couldn’t stand. I disliked it so much that as soon as I carried it into the store, I couldn’t stand it, so I hauled it back home to cover it up. I ended up painting over it with Graphite and odds and ends of other colors then distressed the heck out of it. In my frustration of having to paint and wax it all over again, I went sand crazy but in the end, I love how it turned out. It sold almost immediately, so I guess all my hard work paid off in the end. I just struggle so much with Annie Sloan’s dark wax, there’s got to be something easier. Update: We found a MUCH easier wax to work with ~ find out what we use now here.
I love layering lots of colors!
What do you think?
Update: Many many changes have occurred since I first wrote the post on this dresser. We stopped using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint years ago in lieu of much more superior paint products which don’t have all the toxins and are also much easier to use. The new paint products we choose to create our high end finishes are not only better made, the amazing all natural formula absolutely rocks! It glides on effortlessly and the wax, both clear and dar are an absolute dream. No wonder it’s the Nation’s #1 seller!! We can finish a piece of furniture in not time and the quality is amazing!! No more pulling my hair out with tacky wax, no more VOC’s. Work just got a whole lot easier around Shizzle Design. To find out what we’re using now, click: here.
Did you see our new brushes?
NEW!!! Vintiquities Paint & Wax Brushes!
Stop into today and grab one at Shizzle Design 2018 Chicago Dr., Jenison, MI 49428. They can also be ordered online here.
Retailers: for the opportunity to carry these brushes in your own shop, contact me here with your name, type of business and location.
A hui hou ~ Shelly
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Cathy and I empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- Did you know we are not paid employees of American Paint Company? It typically takes me 10 hours to publish one of my blog posts. Everything from shooting the photographs, writing the content, editing, cropping… is given freely. The only way we make money is if someone purchases paint, workshops or painted furniture from us. If you enjoy the information you get in our website, please share and let us know.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.
For more Chalk & Clay Painted Furniture ideas, tips, tutorials & inspiration, click: