Three years ago today, my sister Cathy and I launched our painted furniture business at Holland’s Art in the Park.
It was August, 2011. I keep thinking it’s been four years (the brain doesn’t function quite like it used to!).
We are so very thankful for where God has led us since and can’t believe the changes that have occurred over these past three years. I woke up this morning welcoming the new day. I was excited to go to work because we’re doing some really cool pieces right now (stay tuned).
but even more than that, I’m really excited to go shopping at this year’s Art in the Park. I can’t WAIT!! It will always have a special place in my heart! LOVE this show!! I wanted to share with any of you new followers with how we started and possibly inspire you to push yourselves beyond your comfort zones. You never know what will happen!
August 2, 2011 I vividly remember the lady telling me they had never been rained out…
If you look behind our tents, you can see the other “experienced” vendors tarping their tents because it was POURING!
We finished this vintage desk and chair the night before the show!
My sister Cathy and I had worked for months preparing for Art in the Park
We had absolutely no idea how we would do.
Neither one of us has the highest self esteem
but that day proved to be a a true blessing
Despite us being brand new and the lousy weather, we sold…
this French Provincial Coffee Table – it was first to go
Shoppers started gathering
under our tent
as the rain continued to
flood the park.
My Venetian Bronze faux finished Candelier was 2nd to go and we were off and running!!
The pink gooney bird mosaic chair planter went home with a lovely lady who made time to dress up as a princess with her beautiful granddaughter. How awesome is that! This was one hip grandmother!!
We also sold oodles of cup and saucer bird feeders, candle holders & yard stakes!
We also sold EVERYTHING in the picture BELOW ~ Wahoo!! less packing!!
This is the only shot I have of the adorable skirted oak chair & little French nightstand
Cathy does such a great job of adding skirts to chairs. She’s as meticulous as our dad was with his upholstery. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!
Another lady drove back from Chicago to get this cedar chest the following week.
There was also a cute little red chair from the 1800’s that never was captured on the camera because it was gone in the blink of an eye. There’s a little story behind THAT one. When I was half through painting it, I noticed a burnt-in logo on the bottom of the chair. I joked to my sister that it’s probably worth “something”.
As I’m slathering paint all over it, I heard Cathy gasp. Two had just sold exactly like it on Ebay for $400 EACH! OOPS!! We try to do a little research on pieces we refinish, but I never imagined in all my wildest dreams that little ‘ole chair would be worth that kind of money. Live and learn!
I love these paints so well that I decided to share what I do with our followers. We proudly offer American Paint Company Paints, Frenchic Furniture Paint, Old Town Chalky Style Paints & Vintiquities Fine Paint and Wax Brushes in the Greater Grand Rapids area. We also sell worldwide via our Online Shizzle Shop.
Did you know…
- Shizzle Design is a small family owned business in Jenison, Michigan. My sister Cathy and I work, paint, ship and teach our chalk and clay paint workshops out of the same space where we paint all our furniture. We are truly humbled to be known as a leader in the world of chalk and clay paints.
- Instead of hoarding our knowledge, we empower DIY’ers by sharing our years of experience. Stop in for paint and we’ll offer you honest and knowledgeable answers for all your chalk and clay paint needs.
- We are so blessed to have taught people from all over the United States and Canada. Join us for one of our super fun hands-on chalk and clay paint workshops. Learn in our casual & relaxed environment. Click Paint Workshops to see a list of current classes offered.
- Subscribe to Shizzle Design for tips, tutorials, ideas, pictures, videos for our furniture painted in all natural chalk and clay based mineral paints.
- Did you know that you can get these sent directly to your inbox and that it’s FREE? It is ~ what are you waiting for? Enter your email in the right hand column of our blog to stay in the loop.
- We have a Shizzle Design Facebook Page. We share all sorts tips, ideas, photos EVERY DAY and offer special deals (which you’ll only know about if you’ve Liked our Facebook Page).
- Pin our posts on Pinterest ~ Find all sorts of inspiration here.
- We sell our painted furniture in our Shizzle Design Paint Studio at 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428 and at Not So Shabby Antiques and Fine Furniture at 2975 West Shore Drive in Holland, Michigan
- Shizzle Design is an Authorized Retailer for American Paint Company Paints. We offer a large inventory of chalk and clay paint and supplies at our Shizzle Design Paint Shop /Studio, 2018 Chicago Drive, Jenison, MI 49428. We also stock several other shops in the greater Grand Rapid’s area, to find out where, click LOCATIONS. Not from Michigan? No worries, we ship paint and paint supplies worldwide through our Online Shizzle Shop.
Click here to see Shizzle Design Painted Furniture Makeovers
Click here to see our Shizzle Tips, How To Tutorials & Video’s
Click here to see Funky Finishes
Linking up to these GREAT Parties!
Domestically Speaking – The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage – Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed – Furniture Feature Friday
Redoux – Friday Link Up Party
Homespun Happenings – Rustic Restorations Weekend
Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special
Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sundays
Knick of Time Interiors – Knick of Time Tuesday